Commuting excellence would not normally be considered a motivating factor to buy a home in Prince William County. As you can see by the map at the right Prince William County is not the closest community to the Pentagon and Washington, DC. When people relocate to Northern Virginia there are four items most of them consider when they make a decision as to where they will live. They are commuting, schools, shopping and recreation.
When you live somewhere as congested as the National Capital Area commuting is measured in time, not miles.
The Commuting Challenge
- Although Prince William County has an increasing number of major work centers, the majority of jobs are north of the county at the Pentagon and Washington, DC.
- County planners faced this challenge as well as the fact that the county had a 43% increase in population according to the 2010 census. That amount of growth can place a tremendous strain on a county’s ability to facilitate commuting for its’ citizens.
North – South Commuting From Prince William County
There are numerous options available all of which are quicker than driving your car north unless that is the only viable option for you.
Rail Service to Alexandria, Arlington and Washington DC is available in both eastern and western Prince William County. Similar to the buses there are transfer points to Metrorail at several train stations
Carpools and Van Pools offer ride sharing opportunities and is arranged free of charge
Hitchhiking is a one word explanation of Slugging.
- It is a Northern Virginia phenomenon that operates between Fredericksburg and Springfield to and from major work centers in Northern Virginia, The Pentagon and Washingon DC.
- Drivers needing passengers to qualify for I-95 HOV lanes pull up to a slug stop, announce their destination and offer free rides to sluggers going to the same destination
- Yes, the slug lines operate for the commute home at the end of the workday
- There is no government involvement so it functions smoothly as an all volunteer community service. See Slugging
- Over the years my incoming buyers seemed reluctant to try it until they went to the office and their co-workers recommended slugging.
Commuting Within Prince William County
- Cross county traffic flows smoothly on the Prince William County Parkway and Dumfries Road, both are four lane highways
- North-south traffic is facilitated by four lane roads such as Minnieville, Hoadly, Sudley Manor and Route 28
- Omnilink buses operate in eastern Prince William County, Manassas, Manassas Park and as the Cross County Connector
If you make it easy to commute from Prince William County people will want to come home to Prince William County
The Kruschkas are long term Prince William County residents with more than 30 years experience as real estate professionals serving Woodbridge, Manassas, Dumfries, Manassas Park, Bristow, Brentsville, Gainesville and Haymarket
Our Experience Isn’t Expensive – It’s PRICELESS
If you plan to buy or sell a home or property contact Karen and Art by Email or call us at 703-499-9279. Put our record of customer service, real estate experience and state-of-the-art technology to work for you